Beiträge von Innocence

How do you "stress-test"?

I'm running on Win7 x64 with 8Gb RAM, and haven't experienced this problem yet. Typical play session is 4-5 hours, but this is regular play and and not sure how to stress it further.

It's the video memory that steals that much system memory :/

It's not just video memory, other device reservations block access too.

Zitat

So the /3GB switch will definitely work if the system leaves enough memory for drivers (especially display drivers)

The switch will increase memory for applications but decrease memory for the OS. While this might work in theory, the systems on which I've tried this simply became slightly unstable and the gains were immeasurable.

Don't bother messing with these kernel/user memory distribution settings, it's a waste of time. I've supported XP workstations and Windows NT/2000/2003 servers for 20 years, and not once did it do any good, quite the opposite really.

32-bit Windows systems will handle 4Gb, but about ½-1Gb is often blocked from use by device drivers resources. You can sometimes reclaim a tiny bit by disabling unused devices in BIOS, but again the payback is minimal and not really worth the time. You want full support for 4Gb and up, go with Win7 64-bit.

Does it say anything in the Windows Application Event Log regarding the crash? Fastest way to find it is to press Windows+R, type "eventvwr", enter.

Running it on Win7 64-bit myself. I cannot see the splash-screens or intro movies (getting only black screen and sounds), but I can click past those and the game works fine. Your card is a DX11 card, compared to my DX10. Are there any settings in the driver regarding DX9 compatibility?

Good idea, although I recon most Germans stick to their native forum?

You used a translator-bot right? The German is not totally incomprehensible, but grammar aside there are common mistakes typical of such bots, ie. "speaker" = "Lautsprecher", but only of it's the kind of speaker you plug in to your amplifier at home. "German speaking" would be "Deutsch Sprechender".

Not that I could translate the whole paragraph myself :) Although Germany is our southern neighbor, and I grew up with German television, I can read and comprehend most of it - but writing and speaking German is a whole other matter entirely :D

I've played 4.15 and recommend trying the beta patches.

You can apply the beta patches to Steam yourself - just run the installer and point it to the "...\Steam\steamapps\common\the guild 2 renaissance" folder.

As far as I'm informed this will invalidate further regular patches from Steam for this game, although I wager you can simply do an uninstall/install if you want to restore this functionality. Make a Steam backup of the game would make this fairly fast oo.

Depends on JoWooD

Since JoWooD filed for insolvency in early January, chances are this might never happen. Could go either way though.

I haven't actually seen that much of an increase.

Me neither. Does it depend on the map played?

I have two observations in this regard, when I compared to Guild 2: Pirates+Sovereignty:
    1) Either the city guards are much more efficient now, or the AI is much less able to hide crime, cause I see guards killing criminals several times every turn. This might hold back the AI (losing key people).
    2) Buying a title is vastly more expensive now than in Sov, again something which might hold back the AI. Perhaps the AI should get a discount on this if it has problems making money?

I still don't see much of the Colored Dynasty buying higher titles and thus applying for office. More of the shadow dynasties does the buying and the applying now.

Noticed the same thing. All spots, including the King is filled by shadow dynasties. This is 4 AI dynasties in a one-city game. Still, might just be a coincidence.

Had an odd occurance where my character was evicted from Town Hall at the 17 o'clock meeting, even though he held a position (which was contested). Couldn't reenter Town Hall, was told the build was about to collapse(?). After a strange meeting (instead of zooming to my character it zoomed to the left-most empty throne used during trials), everything was fine again. Never seen this before.

I'm not entirely sure this is the case, but my understanding is that sleeping will just recover health over its duration.

Makes sense, but had to ask. Is it possible to change it so that Sleeping DOES cure disease? Might take several game turns (years) to heal serious diseases, but then at least you'd have a way out if no Hospital exists. That'd take care of the early games ruined by incurable disease, plus it'd mean that the Deep Sleep ability would suddently be useful (halving time needed to recover).

Zitat

I'm curious if someone with - say, the cold - can contract something more serious in this way. If so, standing around waiting to be treated in a pesthouse that can't treat you might actually lead to a worse illness.

I've been thinking the same thing. I'm especially worried that my char running the Hospital will catch a disease this way.

I do like the way that light illness gone untreated cause more serious diseases over time. IIRC Cold -> Flu -> Pneumonia

... so, the woman my third char was dating eventually died of pneumonia, since noone could cure her. He's now married to another woman, who build a Pesthouse (misleading name really, as it cannot actually cure Pest/Plague), and finally upgraded it to a Hospital.

The town is much better off now, but it's still problematic that it's really pure luck if you survive until then.

By the way, in the description for "Sleep" (in your own house), it says this action will cure illness, and the description for the "Deep Sleep" ability, it says this cure will be faster. WILL "Sleep" actually cure diseases like the fly, pneumonia and plague?

Started three games last night with v4.165b. In the first game my char helped put out a fire, but got burned and there was no hospital to cure him. Second game the char contracted fly, then pneumonia, and again there was no hospital to cure him. In both cases the town only had a Pesthouse, which apparently isn't enough to cure said problems.

In both cases I had to abandon the game after a few hours of playing. In the third game, my char is still healthy, but the woman he was courting got pnemonia and can't be cured either, so it seems he'll have to find another.

Couple this with the game I started a few days before (v4.15) where the char was killed by the plague, and I've got almost a handful of games ruined by premature infestation.

I think it's a problem that until a functional Hospital is build, you risk losing the game any second through no fault of your own - especially when the infection rate is so high. Would it be possible to artificially limit risk of serious illness/damages in the very early game to give the player a chance to handle the problem?

Innocence: You said Infirmery above. You used this word by mistake in the post, or it was actually in the game an infirmery?

Damn, just deleted the save games in preparation to patch with the beta patches so I can't recheck.

Would my character go a place where they're not actually able to cure him?

Zitat

nirvana: That's not a change (in the beta patches), that's elimination of the plague :P

Is this true? I mean, it's not like I want it gone from the game, I was just a little shocked everyone died to early in the game

Which patch du you use?

Sorry, this is 4.15 (standard Steam).

Interresting - I might just have found my favorite weapon :)

Still, it was a rather abrupt end to the game, and happened very early. Next time I hear about the plague I'm going to isolate my characteres, then use my employees as medieval suicide bombers

So last night my only character (still in the early game) contracted the plague. I immediately sent him to the Infirmery (not my building), but the place was packed and he never got through to a doctor but died (along with many others) while waiting for treatment on the bench (for more than a full turn).

It seems to me the 'Consult Medicus' (forgot the actual name) action automatically cancels once in a while and the character looses his place in the line and thus never gets treated. Is there a way around this?

Do diseases actually spread realistically in the game? I was thinking: Could I send my employeees carrying the plague to my worst enemies, thus infecting and eventually killing them?

Likewise, would my character be safe from harm if he stayed at home while the plague was rampaging through the city?

As I explained in the other thread, the employee is lower in hierarchy than his employer, so using "follow me" action by the employee on the employer, it's actually vice versa. That is the employee will go to the employer anyway.

Ok, didn't know that.

Zitat

If you had another character player in your group, then it would have worked.

Yes that was the problem, only had one character and wasn't able to select "Follow Me" on the one that was stuck.

Incidentally, he was cured but shortly after was hit by the plague and died.