Beiträge von Sisain

Ah well I've been playing with the 4.17 patch and I do not understand what you mean by "The right order".

However that is a bummer we can't organize the side bar of owned business. It would make playing a bit easier if I could just go from top to bottom and then when reaching the last business at the bottom, just go back to the top and repeat process.

Though this opinion of mine is because I do sometimes forget to check on a business or three and then things in it get backed up or I forget to get the business the resources it needs etc.. etc..

Maybe this sort of thing could be implemented in an up and coming patch?

After all this time it hadn't hit me that I do not know how or if there in fact is a way to change the order in which buildings/businesses you own on the scrolling side bar on the right side of the screen.

If there is, how is it done? If there isn't, oh well :D

Well then I guess the only form of action is to ask Win Vista or Win 7 64-bit users to keep an eye on the Task Manager to check for memory consumption and possible leaks and then report their findings?

Innocence has said that he has Win 7 64-bit :D :D

As I myself am encountering this problem and so far have not figured an end all solution that wouldn't inconvenience players to have to quit and restart the game before it crashes

Well there are a couple of ways to do it.

My sessions can last pretty much as long as yours Innocence, maybe an hour more give or take, though I do need to restart the game. But in my instances the crashes tend to happen about 2-3 hours into gameplay. I tend to move the camera a lot during the session and give commands very quickly and try to utilize a lot of the options at the same time. If I can't do so I just keep moving the camera angle/position and watch the other towns etc.. though I notice the more I continuously move the camera the faster memory is used and builds up. When I stop moving the camera, memory usage doesn't reduce. It just stays at it's current level and keeps building.
    Other things like consistently bringing up menus and saving every 15 minutes adds to this effect as well.

So to "Stress Test" as I call it lol I would do a list of things I guess:
    - Going in and out of buildings quickly etc..
    - Setting paths consistently
    - Continuously moving or adjusting camera position and angle
    - Bringing up any types of menus at many intervals
    - Saving every 15 minutes or so.
    - Just mainly doing functions and actions at an extreme rate
    - (Other things that I have tried is running Steam, iTunes and Firefox along with the game. Which is what I do for every single other game I play.) Though I wouldn't really count this method as an official way of testing the game's limits. I did it because; After two 2-3 hour sessions the game finally crashed 1) when I saved, 2) during ongoing gameplay and
    I wanted to speed up the process.

Now to pretty much avoid this dilemma one could just restart the game, bringing memory usage back down to normal and sort of "restarting" the build up. This sort of thing is not a huge deal to me personally because I think after 2-3 hours or maybe even just 1-2 hours is enough to get things done before spending what? a minute restarting and getting back in.

Though I would like to know if anyone else is having a memory build up issue like this. If you don't know or this hasn't happened to you then keep an eye on your Task Manager while you play.
    ↑ If so then would this be something to be more closely looked at when considering a new patch? I understand a program or application using more than 3 gbs of RAM. But one that keeps building memory usage till
    the limit is reached at which it shuts itself down because it can no longer run?

┴ Though like I have previously stated. I haven't gotten my new RAM yet so I am still running Win 7 64-bit on 4 gb of RAM and also using 4gb from my flash drive as virtual memory.

In a different thread I asked about an alternative for the 3gb switch for Win XP 32-bit users. etc...

This is a follow up and analysis:

Well got my Win7 64-bit up and running etc..

Was stress testing as usual and I notice the game just gradually consumes memory. Went from 2gb to a bit over 3 and then I decided to see what happens when I would save, which lead to a crash XD

Now this could be because I haven't gone out and bought my new RAM sticks: Right now running on 4gb RAM with another 4 running from a flash drive as virtual memory.

BUT I wanted to clarify, even when I do get more RAM, will this game just continue to build up memory until it just crashes due to reaching the limit?
    Though the build up is slow and takes a bit of time. It definitely is there.

I will be testing it myself; I just wanted to know anyone's thoughts or opinions or actual encounters with this XD

Or if Nirvana has anything to say XD

Well after having tweaked with the switch a bit. A stable solution is still not found. I do NOT believe that the 3gb switch could OR more importantly should honestly be an end all solution for a game that has had 4 different releases.

Though it's to be expected from a smaller company with fewer resources staff wise, which is why we work as a community after all to help the product :P

After testing it out etc.. Once CPU usage reaches over 40% steadily
    and PF Usage is over 2gbs, WITH the 3gb switch at USERVA=2400, 2500, 2600; the game does not crash when saving but loading the saves that were saved with the memory usage at that point will crash the application.

However when using USERVA=2700 and 2800 settings, the game not only crashes while saving but I receive graphical glitches and PC freezes at which I need to hard restart the PC along with not being able to load the saves.

Though my last say on it is this. Telling the customers and members of the game's community that use Win XP 32-bit OS's that they should rely on something as temperamental as editing boot.ini to supposedly increase the stability/reallocate memory to fix problems/etc.. of their game should honestly be something the devs should think about when releasing the next official patch.

Btw Not trying to diss RuneForge or any affiliates. The game is great and addicting. I just think a better solution should at least try to be found/introduced into the game itself through means of a patch.

As for me personally, upgrading to Win 7 64-bit in two weeks when I get paid XD

Though Thanks Nirvana and Innocence for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

Yah tried that out and tried stress testing.
    After panning around, there was many graphical glitches that I could see
    very clearly. Like reallly really bad ones lol. (This HAS been reported in another thread I read earlier today, with the same problems lol)
    Then after going at it a bit more, the game screen froze up yet I could still
    hear the game progressing as I could not do a thing. Not just sounds but things like me getting paid and events going on etc..

Ended up having to hard restart my computer.
    I guess I will just revert back to default in boot.ini
    Considering there hasn't been one solution or even suggestion other than tweaking with USERVA=XXXX :(

Btw if anyone does ask. Yes I have my drivers updated, did it the other day in fact.

Specs: Windows XP 32-bit Home Edition
    CPU - AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core 3.1GHz
    4 gigs of ram but XP reads only 3.5
    Two Nvidia 9800gt SLI

I guess I will eventually have to just use Windows Vista or 7 sooner or later.
    *Starts browsing

Would the example in the 'Technical Fax" section of the forum apply to
    32-bit users that use the XP Home Edition.

I ask because I noticed that the example posted stated Proffesional Edition. Was wondering if there would be a difference. I can't remember exactly but I think Proffesional Edition does in fact use the entire 4gigs of RAM while Home Edition only uses around 3.5.
    (I myself have the Home Edition version)

I myself tried out the 3gb switch in an attempt to stop game crashes when saving/loading games and found that after a while when eyeing the task manager performance tab while playing (Dual monitors yay ^.^)That once PF usage reached 999mb my computer would just freeze and I would have to hard restart.

SO my conclusion so far is that the 3gb switch wasn't designated for XP Home Edition users. Though I've also read in other posts and forums that maybe adjusting the userva =xxxx that a good balance could be found. Though I just wanted to know if something else could be done instead or would that be just a waste of time XD

SO what would be an alternative to the 3gb switch? Other than just upgrading to Windows Vista or 7 :P