Premature infestation

• Started three games last night with v4.165b. In the first game my char helped put out a fire, but got burned and there was no hospital to cure him. Second game the char contracted fly, then pneumonia, and again there was no hospital to cure him. In both cases the town only had a Pesthouse, which apparently isn't enough to cure said problems.

In both cases I had to abandon the game after a few hours of playing. In the third game, my char is still healthy, but the woman he was courting got pnemonia and can't be cured either, so it seems he'll have to find another.

Couple this with the game I started a few days before (v4.15) where the char was killed by the plague, and I've got almost a handful of games ruined by premature infestation.

I think it's a problem that until a functional Hospital is build, you risk losing the game any second through no fault of your own - especially when the infection rate is so high. Would it be possible to artificially limit risk of serious illness/damages in the very early game to give the player a chance to handle the problem?

• ... so, the woman my third char was dating eventually died of pneumonia, since noone could cure her. He's now married to another woman, who build a Pesthouse (misleading name really, as it cannot actually cure Pest/Plague), and finally upgraded it to a Hospital.

The town is much better off now, but it's still problematic that it's really pure luck if you survive until then.

By the way, in the description for "Sleep" (in your own house), it says this action will cure illness, and the description for the "Deep Sleep" ability, it says this cure will be faster. WILL "Sleep" actually cure diseases like the fly, pneumonia and plague?

• I'm not entirely sure this is the case, but my understanding is that sleeping will just recover health over its duration.

As for the pesthouse, I believe this term was used to describe places where people with diseases stayed (and were only sometimes treated), so it's appropriate that it's the lowest level of that building.

Also, I don't think the flies are an illness in and of themselves; they merely designate that someone is afflicted. Even people with sprained ankles, broken bones and burns will have flies above them.

As for the issues with people not being treated, this has been ongoing but has improved with the newer patches. Serious illness will probably not be curable early on though, but I think it's also less likely to occur early on - especially the plague.

Other threads have commented on this but it is possible to "avoid" going into contact with other people who are sick, thus lessening your chances of contracting the illness. I'm curious if someone with - say, the cold - can contract something more serious in this way. If so, standing around waiting to be treated in a pesthouse that can't treat you might actually lead to a worse illness.

• I'm not entirely sure this is the case, but my understanding is that sleeping will just recover health over its duration.

Makes sense, but had to ask. Is it possible to change it so that Sleeping DOES cure disease? Might take several game turns (years) to heal serious diseases, but then at least you'd have a way out if no Hospital exists. That'd take care of the early games ruined by incurable disease, plus it'd mean that the Deep Sleep ability would suddently be useful (halving time needed to recover).

Zitat

I'm curious if someone with - say, the cold - can contract something more serious in this way. If so, standing around waiting to be treated in a pesthouse that can't treat you might actually lead to a worse illness.

I've been thinking the same thing. I'm especially worried that my char running the Hospital will catch a disease this way.

I do like the way that light illness gone untreated cause more serious diseases over time. IIRC Cold -> Flu -> Pneumonia

• Makes sense, but had to ask. Is it possible to change it so that Sleeping DOES cure disease? Might take several game turns (years) to heal serious diseases, but then at least you'd have a way out if no Hospital exists. That'd take care of the early games ruined by incurable disease, plus it'd mean that the Deep Sleep ability would suddently be useful (halving time needed to recover).

I like this idea, especially since it does make that perk a little more useful. That said, I'd change it a little and instead make sleeping have a certain percentage chance to cure a disease. The worse the disease the lower the percentage chance. The deep sleep ability would just increase the percentage chance of healing any disease.