Memory leak/Build up

• In a different thread I asked about an alternative for the 3gb switch for Win XP 32-bit users. etc...

This is a follow up and analysis:

Well got my Win7 64-bit up and running etc..

Was stress testing as usual and I notice the game just gradually consumes memory. Went from 2gb to a bit over 3 and then I decided to see what happens when I would save, which lead to a crash XD

Now this could be because I haven't gone out and bought my new RAM sticks: Right now running on 4gb RAM with another 4 running from a flash drive as virtual memory.

BUT I wanted to clarify, even when I do get more RAM, will this game just continue to build up memory until it just crashes due to reaching the limit?
    Though the build up is slow and takes a bit of time. It definitely is there.

I will be testing it myself; I just wanted to know anyone's thoughts or opinions or actual encounters with this XD

Or if Nirvana has anything to say XD

• How do you "stress-test"?

I'm running on Win7 x64 with 8Gb RAM, and haven't experienced this problem yet. Typical play session is 4-5 hours, but this is regular play and and not sure how to stress it further.

• Well there are a couple of ways to do it.

My sessions can last pretty much as long as yours Innocence, maybe an hour more give or take, though I do need to restart the game. But in my instances the crashes tend to happen about 2-3 hours into gameplay. I tend to move the camera a lot during the session and give commands very quickly and try to utilize a lot of the options at the same time. If I can't do so I just keep moving the camera angle/position and watch the other towns etc.. though I notice the more I continuously move the camera the faster memory is used and builds up. When I stop moving the camera, memory usage doesn't reduce. It just stays at it's current level and keeps building.
    Other things like consistently bringing up menus and saving every 15 minutes adds to this effect as well.

So to "Stress Test" as I call it lol I would do a list of things I guess:
    - Going in and out of buildings quickly etc..
    - Setting paths consistently
    - Continuously moving or adjusting camera position and angle
    - Bringing up any types of menus at many intervals
    - Saving every 15 minutes or so.
    - Just mainly doing functions and actions at an extreme rate
    - (Other things that I have tried is running Steam, iTunes and Firefox along with the game. Which is what I do for every single other game I play.) Though I wouldn't really count this method as an official way of testing the game's limits. I did it because; After two 2-3 hour sessions the game finally crashed 1) when I saved, 2) during ongoing gameplay and
    I wanted to speed up the process.

Now to pretty much avoid this dilemma one could just restart the game, bringing memory usage back down to normal and sort of "restarting" the build up. This sort of thing is not a huge deal to me personally because I think after 2-3 hours or maybe even just 1-2 hours is enough to get things done before spending what? a minute restarting and getting back in.

Though I would like to know if anyone else is having a memory build up issue like this. If you don't know or this hasn't happened to you then keep an eye on your Task Manager while you play.
    ↑ If so then would this be something to be more closely looked at when considering a new patch? I understand a program or application using more than 3 gbs of RAM. But one that keeps building memory usage till
    the limit is reached at which it shuts itself down because it can no longer run?

┴ Though like I have previously stated. I haven't gotten my new RAM yet so I am still running Win 7 64-bit on 4 gb of RAM and also using 4gb from my flash drive as virtual memory.

• The problem with 32bit operating systems is not that the OS is not able to address more than appr. 3.2GB of memory (not RAM!), the problem is that 32bit systems only provide about 2GB if memory (again: not RAM) to userprocesses. This problem simply doesn't exist with 64bit operating systems, no matter if you have more than 4GB of RAM or not. The amount of RAM doesn't matter because the OS provides virtual memory which isn't only RAM.

About the memory leak: there are no known memory leaks in Guild 2. The sourcecode has many problems, but memory is always freed after usage. The high memory consumption is caused by cashing of textures, indoors, ...

Also i've never been able to force memory consumption on 32bit systems to be more than 2.5GB (with the /3GB switch enabled), so Win7 64bit may handle memory different than XP32.

Sorry for typos, i'm on my smartphone right now.

• Well then I guess the only form of action is to ask Win Vista or Win 7 64-bit users to keep an eye on the Task Manager to check for memory consumption and possible leaks and then report their findings?

Innocence has said that he has Win 7 64-bit :D :D

As I myself am encountering this problem and so far have not figured an end all solution that wouldn't inconvenience players to have to quit and restart the game before it crashes

• Windows Pro, 32, SP3 - RAM 2 GB - Dual Core 2.4 - GeForce 8500 GT 512 MB

When everything was too developed in the game, (too many buildings, too many businesses, too many people, family members, assets, etc.) the game was crashing or lagging a lot.

After expanding the memory, as per Nirvana's instructions in Technical FAQ, it goes fine. Nothing happens, smoothly running, no matter how heavy it becomes.

Vista has many conflicts in games, not just with Guild II Renaissance, and that often causes games to crash.

As for Windows 7, haven't reviewed that yet.
    :)

• Well then I guess the only form of action is to ask Win Vista or Win 7 64-bit users to keep an eye on the Task Manager to check for memory consumption and possible leaks and then report their findings?

Innocence has said that he has Win 7 64-bit :D :D

As I myself am encountering this problem and so far have not figured an end all solution that wouldn't inconvenience players to have to quit and restart the game before it crashes

You got me wrong, what I meant was that the game can't crash because of the high memory consumption on 64bit systems. The limit on win7 x64 is (in theory) 8TB.
    Maybe the Callstack.log holds more information about the problem.

• Other then the occasional save game ctd I run ren for sessions of 12+ hours everyday even alt tabbing out for hours at a time with very few problems.

I'd say if you are able to run ANY game in this day and age for 5-6 hours at a time then your doing pretty damn good.

Win 7 64
    Quad Duo Oced from 2.66 to 3.2ghz
    8 GB Ram
    gtx 470