Suggestions to improve transportation.

• [Reposted from the other forum]
    Being a big transport tycoon and locomotion fanatic, when I got The Guild 2 and now The Guild 2 Renaissance, one of the problems I've kept having is the transportation network. I love the game immensely. But what I find challenging in the game is the transportation network being messy. So I decided to come up with some suggestions on how it can be improved.

1-When using the "create a Trade route" option it should not matter what items are at the location or if the location has any stock. Instead when you select a business:
    --Loading- items that the business makes shows up. You then select the quantity. Even if the business has none you can still set the desired quantity.
    --Unloading- items should allow you to select the quantity even if the cart doesn't have that quantity.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://home.comcast.net/~acknar/suggest_01.jpg]

2-When creating a trade route to a storehouse, harbor/market:
    --Loading- all items in the game should show up in their specific catagories even if the market/storehouse doesn't have them. You then set the desired quantity even if the storehouse/market doesn't have that quantity.
    --Unloading- same as above.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://home.comcast.net/~acknar/suggest_02.jpg]

In other words I should be able to select any amount even if the location doesn't have it.

3-Vehicles should have a Return to Parent Building button. When clicking this button the vehicle immediately stops what it is doing and returns to the parent building. see screenshot

4-A transport management menu should be in the Important Units tab.
    -Lists all vehicles (ships, carts, wagons, etc)
    -shows their current cargo
    -shows their current status; travelling to, idle (means it is stopped somewhere), or waiting (means it is in some building, this is if you have it on Often or Rarely).
    -on the right side each vehicle has a question mark button. Clicking this takes you to the vehicle orders summary tab. This will show you the current orders for the vehicle. At the bottom of this tab is the Return to Parent building button and the cancel all orders/action button.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://home.comcast.net/~acknar/suggest_04.jpg]

5a-The production menu for a building should have an auto-stocker button.
    -selecting this allows you to set how much of the items in the store can be placed for sale. It will continuously restock items even if they are exhausted (if the store has zero, it will still restock even if it stocks nothing, and continue once the store restocks even if it's a lower amount).

5b-The production menu transport tab should list all of the vehicles for that building. It should not dissapear when a vehicle leaves. Instead it should display the status of the vehicle (travelling to, idle, waiting, etc). Additionally the buttons to create trade route, send, cancel orders/actions, and return to parent building are added.

--If a vehicle is travelling and is currently not at the building, it should turn grey or look dark (sorry I didn't do that in the screenshot since I had forgotten).

[Blockierte Grafik: http://home.comcast.net/~acknar/suggest_05.jpg]

6- Ships should have the same options as carts.
    -Ships should be able to be assigned routes
    -Ships need to recognize harbors just like they recognize counting houses. Currently in order to send a ship to a harbor you have to select the harbor, view it in the 3D world, then select the ship and select the send options. Otherwise you have to manually select where you want it to go.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://home.comcast.net/~acknar/suggest_06.jpg]

7- The ships pennant should be the color of the player/dynasty. All ships should have an ensign in the rear with the player or dynasty heraldry/coat of arms. This is important for pirate players. Although I'm not certain if the game pays attention to attacks at sea.
    My rogue/pirate character was charged with maurading so I'm assuming that the game does take into consideration maritime engagements?

Anyhow I really enjoy the game. This is now my 11th campaign. So far the difficult part has been the transportation nightmare.

• A bug-free Guild 2 is utopian. Also, live's not for free. The patch support consumes a lot of time and I'd rather quit support than going bankrupt.
    But we will maintain the support as long as possible - or as long as necessary.

There are things that won't be fixed, pathfinding or the buggy sound engine for example. Not because we don't want to fix them or we are not able to fix them, but we can't afford to work about 2 months 40h/week for free.

So... that idea is Too many change things and AI
    so i think, this is "GOOD Idea" but impossible to make.
    Time... Time...

• This is in fact a very valid and very nice suggestion and one that has also been floating around since time immemorial or at the least when Guild2 was released, so therefore I support this suggestion and the poster behind it.

• So... that idea is Too many change things and AI
    so i think, this is "GOOD Idea" but impossible to make.
    Time... Time...

It's completely possible. All of the ideas suggested are within the framework of what is currently there. I'm not suggesting anything new to the code.

The Transport Management Menu data is already in the game, it's just a matter of reporting to the player what is going on in a simple accesible format.

All of the information, and data, and code is already there. All that is missing are the few button artwork. I would gladly do the menus and buttons myself for free if they'd like. Only thing is I'm not a coder, otherwise I'd make the changes myself.

• It's completely possible. All of the ideas suggested are within the framework of what is currently there. I'm not suggesting anything new to the code.

The Transport Management Menu data is already in the game, it's just a matter of reporting to the player what is going on in a simple accesible format.

All of the information, and data, and code is already there. All that is missing are the few button artwork. I would gladly do the menus and buttons myself for free if they'd like. Only thing is I'm not a coder, otherwise I'd make the changes myself.

yes you are not coder.
    so i can tell you "SO MANY CHANGE" over the 8h * 21 days

• It's completely possible. All of the ideas suggested are within the framework of what is currently there. I'm not suggesting anything new to the code.

Without the sourcecode you can't change the HUD.

I know exactly how to include those buttons and I know that it's about 40-80 hours of work to implement it. Artwork not included.
    I really like the Idea and I think that it should've been implemented this way from the beginning (which means Guild 2), but it's simply too much :/ Trading routes are currently implemented via lua-scripts. The GUI can communicate with these scripts, but it would be easier and better to let the GUI communicate with the source, which would be another ~20 hours of work.

• lol, I won't comment this ;)

Edit: Please keep posting in this thread, as it's by far the most thought-out improvement suggestion ever posted for this game. If I would choose to implement a last big feature into Renaissance, I would take this. That's no promise, though.

• Honestly, I agree Nirvana... of all the suggestions I've seen on the forums - this would be the most useful. Anything else you could leave the fans work on... lmao... Maybe that could be a Runeforge Jr. in the making? :oh:

In all seriousness though... cold, hard cash... how much? :wink: Don't worry, it'll be Euros... not dollars... :tongue:

• If I had enough programming knowledge I'd offer to do it for free, sadly I'm an artist and not a programmer.

Conversely if I had a few more available funds, I'd offer to pay for the work :D

However, if these changes were implemented, I think it would help sell The Guild 2 and perhaps recover some of the investment in time/work. Maybe?

• *bump*

Let's get some of the other regular community members commenting on this. I know that Runeforge - as ANY developer of ANY video game must do - will eventually have to sever support ties to a game that is draining it's resources. Agreed, TG2:R was the game that launched Runeforge; but they need to consolidate their manpower (as little as they have) in order to be successful in future endeavours. I, for one, would rather see the studio succeed and possibly change the way we game a few years from now - rather than see continuous support for TG2:R.

Maybe a few years down the road they can purchase full-licensing rights of the franchise and release a TG3... or maybe Project 'X' will take off and end up more successful - who knows...

But I am certain Nirvana agrees that we need the community to comment on any major content is released in order to see if we're in agreement as to what will allow TG2:R be 'wrapped-up' (for now) so they can pursue other endeavours with the knowledge that they will still have the solid fan-base.

(pardon the rant.... just the forums have been quiet for about two weeks now and I don't like how that is looking...) :frown:

• I'm a newcomer (or latecomer) to Guild 2 Ren and I love the game!

Today I've been playing around with trade routes for the first time and I haven't quite got it how I want it yet, but I think I'll get there eventually.

I support the OPs post and would really welcome any improvements (overhaul) to the trade route system and the AI management system.

For trade routes, I'd like to:

1) be able to easily modify existing routes

2) set a limit for buying from the market e.g. if honey stocks fall below X then go and buy X more

That's all I can think of for now.

I'm so happy to have discovered this game and to find it still supported with patches being released.

It was reading so many good things about the 4.17 (4.17b) patches that made me buy the game and I'm so glad I did!:happy:

• I registered just to post this.

I just wanted to say that I've quit playing this game twice now because of the stock management and trading system.

The changes suggested in this thread would make the game vastly better, and honestly would let me play the game to the end without pulling my hair out.

I'd seriously donate $10 to see this implemented.