No ai aggression

• Well you being female would explain why you would not notice the lack of aggression. Females play games like the sims and find enjoyment. Men like something a bit more challenging and "war" like.

I hope you realize at some point what a gross generalization you're making, not to mention how offensive it is.

On top of that, there is nothing inherently better or worse about a game that focuses on combat or one that focuses on social aspects. By all accounts I am a male and I enjoy The Sims and a number of other games that have little or no combat focus. My wife also plays The Guild and while she does not focus on combat at all she is always far richer than my dynasty. We also play Dawn of Discovery, Demigod, and Left 4 Dead together.

Besides all of that, I wish more games would focus on non-combat oriented aspects. Many cultures are far too focused on competition and violence, which is probably one of the reasons these gender-prejudices and hyper-masculine notions arise, viz. "real men solve their problems with violence." I find it refreshing when games attempt to provide alternatives that focus more on creation and cooperation. Ah well, I'll just have to settle for being less than a real man.

• Well you being female would explain why you would not notice the lack of aggression. Females play games like the sims and find enjoyment. Men like something a bit more challenging and war like.

I'm a male, last time I checked and I certainly don't agree with you. Gone are the days men are stereotypically branded as BIG BULKY I WANT YOU DEAD COZ IM STUPID WAR WAR WAR!! such as they were. (much like how you are looking like one right now.

Zitat

I flood the forums because the issue needs to be noticed in order for it to be fixed. When carebears like you run around making the AI seem dandy, things dont get fixed... If you notice, the majority of people reguarding this issue are having similar problems with the aggression.

This one show's clearly how unethical you are and how unruly you are to not even read forum rules, nay, that's a common universal practice in civilized forums such as these that flooding even if how justifiable it may seem is ALWAYS wrong.

Zitat

I would also like to add that there is a difficulty slider for a reason, when im playing on the hardest setting and still get the aggression of a limp dick, thats an issue. Go play the sims and have fun, this is a big boy game

So are you a big boy then? I certainly want to know who mentored you along the way to create someone like you. :oops:

Zitat

P.S Its just alittle annoying havin someone tell me im crazy and the AI is aggressive when we all have played the game on the same patch and know there is NO aggression. The real issue we are having is that some of you are ok with the lack of aggression and some of us are not. The issue is not however if there is or isnt aggression, because clearly there is not.

There IS agression (coming from you!) If you ask me and I certainly dont want you to (god knows how irate I am with you right now) the AI agression is balanced enough so note to Nirvana; ignore his rambling.

• I could not care less about any of ur opinions regarding my posts. Nor am i posting on here to go back and forth with ypu in a battle of wits for which none of you are fully prepared. That being said, what i do care about is getting the AI fixed. I have tested this issue again and again. I have went to feud with all of the major dynastys, put the game on fast forward and let it run for about a one real world hour. not a single attack out of the 5 times i did it.

So u can sit there and tell nirvana its fine because ur pissed at me thats fine, but there have been several people on this forum and others complaining about the same issue. I have been playing pirates of the euro seas with the sov mod and its great so i have stopped caring much about renaissance seeing as renaissance took most of its features from the sov mod anyway. I invite u to give the sov mod with pirates a try and tell me the difference in fun with the AI, then come back and say the AI is fine. I will let the facts speak for me.

The AI builds up to the third level of buildings, the major dynastys go to max title, they apply for all offices, they have well over 300k assets, make significant use of thugs and sabotage verse the player, own more than 2 buisnoues, build mansons as they are supposed to instead of just houses like renaissance, they make use of their office privlages as they are supposed to, the list goes on. None of these things are found in renaissance, so i would argue the AI is surely not FINE. When u find any of the AI major dynastys above the title of citizen let me know :)

• So you gave up on ren then?

HOORAH!!!!

I reckon you'll stop crying about it and play Sov (which I have to0) on your pc in a dark foreboding corner then?

if so.... Good For You :party:

(and us)

PS. Grats on making some friends here :he: (note: sarcasm)

• Damn, when H.P. Lovecraft steps in you know things have gotten out of hand. That makes me think: why not just replace enemy dynasties with Cthulhu? He would be super aggressive.

In all seriousness. What are some ideas for how to fix/improve AI aggressiveness? I still say it should relate to your relationship with that dynasty.

I have some other ideas but they are more complex, and I don't want to be too unrealistic. Needless to say, they involve different variables (e.g. current wealth of dynasty vs. average wealth of all dynasties, religiosity, average dynasty disposition, number of rogues in dynasty, political positions held). Basically, let's say a dynasty was extremely poor (thus, lacked financial means to achieve their goals), had no political ties, poor average disposition, and no ties to the church or local politics and relationships with a lot of rogues: this dynasty would have more incentive to be aggressive (i.e. criminal).

Each one of these variables could be measured for each dynasty and then given a + or - value. In the above case this dynasty would have a +5 aggressiveness which could then be checked against their relationship with your dynasty. Each level of relationship could be given a +/- value as well. So if they absolutely hated you, they'd have a +10 chance to be aggressive toward you. Basically they'd be attacking you constantly.

Like I said: complex and probably completely impossible given the programming involved, but in my "ideal" game this is probably how it would work. It would give each dynasty a lot more personality as well.

So, with that, anyone else have ideas that are reasonable/unreasonable?

• Sorry Chaos, no more ideas, at least not in this thread.

I was calm expressing an opinion on the subject.
    I got insulted, quite heavily, but I was calm again in my response.
    Got insulted again, but being calm and all, I didn't respond at all.
    And now I'm being told to be calm and get back to the subject.:sarcastic:

So no more ideas, I'm out of here. You see, I have no idea about aggressiveness...:ange:

• I have some other ideas but they are more complex, and I don't want to be too unrealistic. Needless to say, they involve different variables (e.g. current wealth of dynasty vs. average wealth of all dynasties, religiosity, average dynasty disposition, number of rogues in dynasty, political positions held). Basically, let's say a dynasty was extremely poor (thus, lacked financial means to achieve their goals), had no political ties, poor average disposition, and no ties to the church or local politics and relationships with a lot of rogues: this dynasty would have more incentive to be aggressive (i.e. criminal).

Each one of these variables could be measured for each dynasty and then given a + or - value. In the above case this dynasty would have a +5 aggressiveness which could then be checked against their relationship with your dynasty. Each level of relationship could be given a +/- value as well. So if they absolutely hated you, they'd have a +10 chance to be aggressive toward you. Basically they'd be attacking you constantly.

That would be a very good system but it does sound rather hard to implement.

I think the attacking is already hidden in their AI it is just not coming out in renaissance, someone stated it has been toned down for beta, hopefully they can easily tone it back up, preferably even higher than before.

I am going to assume for now that the main reason for the AI's lack of aggression is either that or economic reasons. if it is economic, then perhaps you could simply allow the enemy to cheat. If it is on hard setting they could get 1000 gold added to their balance for each building they own, every turn. Also, is it possible to change the price the AI pays for titles but not the player? So the AI could pay half what the player pays for the same title?

• Wow... I used 30 minutes to update myself from the last time I left... Seriously, I think mjsegaline needs to learn how to behave.. >.<"

Did I just missed all the fun???

P.S: Jacqvern, ignore that guy.. He is simply too aggressive to enjoy this game.. ^^

• I have played 12 games or so and I did notice that the AI is trying to be somewhat agressive, the problem is that they do it infront of the guards so they stand no chance. In smaller villages where guards arent common, I sometimes get my business bombed. But thats all. No attack on a person or kidnapping :(

I like the suggestion from above, that the AI should be much more agressive towards me when we are in bad relations. Also, I feel it should target my vulnerable buildings, those outside the city limits (farms, woodchopper, castle etc).

And a fued should be a fued. Guts should fly when a war is declared. Mafia style, but 15th century modded which means poison, killing of the heir and what not :diablo:

It would also be nice to read something about me self on the cities notice board from time to time. I love the attention even tho its bad. :party:

• Alright, well... I'll try to post without getting "you-know-who's" panties bunched up....

I think the AI aggression level has been addressed in another forum at some point. There are values in the .LUA files you can tweak yourself that are for 'mission difficulty' and 'dynasty difficulty'. So that is a minor fix that should sate your thirst for fire and streets running red with the crimson blood of your enemies, Msjlenaginegal however your 'big boy' name is spelled.

Now, onto the real matter. The AI really is poor in general (at no fault of the producers... they are working off of old code and a system that they didn't really make so are re-discovering everything that has been put in) Coding takes time - especially when the only real methods of undertaking this task are trial and error because they have to reverse engineer. [I could be wrong here, but I think that's what tends to happen when video game companies go bankrupt] Keep in mind, it's FANS that set this game up... and they've done a hell of a job.

I honestly think the reason the AI isn't aggressive is it doesn't have the assets to really be aggressive. non-dynasty NPC's (ndNPC) tend to be less aggressive because they aren't overly "ambitious." Fair enough. Dynasty characters aren't because they never make it into a position where they can afford to be. Why would they fire-bomb your home if they could just as easily be charged with sabotage and sent to the pillory? They lack the assets management in order to be able to make a significant amount of wealth to buy titles which bring the power to allow them to conduct crimes/sabotages without repercussions. I think the 'aggressive' issue is a minor detail and not the focus point.

TL;DR - aggression means nothing if the NPC's have nothing to fight for.

• I hope he/she/it is happy now with the increased aggresiveness. I had to change gameplay style to a more defensive one now with all the fires and the attacks my characters are dealing with.

• I hope he/she/it is happy now with the increased aggresiveness. I had to change gameplay style to a more defensive one now with all the fires and the attacks my characters are dealing with.

Too much now? I can decrease it a bit, if it's too high now.

• Too much now? I can decrease it a bit, if it's too high now.

I haven't actually seen that much of an increase. My game has been going on for about 25 rounds now. What else changes as the difficulty goes up? I know you said the chance of the plague was increased, and I think the AI dynasties start with more gold, right? Maybe the difficulty can stay the same for the hardest difficulty and be decreased slightly for the lower ones.

• I haven't actually seen that much of an increase.

Me neither. Does it depend on the map played?

I have two observations in this regard, when I compared to Guild 2: Pirates+Sovereignty:
    1) Either the city guards are much more efficient now, or the AI is much less able to hide crime, cause I see guards killing criminals several times every turn. This might hold back the AI (losing key people).
    2) Buying a title is vastly more expensive now than in Sov, again something which might hold back the AI. Perhaps the AI should get a discount on this if it has problems making money?

• Hi there,

I've played a lot of games and would agree that there is nearly no ai aggression. In app. 90% of these games I've started my own 'wargame' ;)
    I've started a new game the last WE and spend some (alot;)) hours in this game. During this time most of my buildings got bombed, my sims got knocked out, kidnapped, I was blackmailed and so on. The AI was abnormaly aggressive, which I never saw.

I've changed nothing to any config or script, simply started a new game.

• interesting. i've seen no increase yet, but i'm only 10-15 rounds in. i've gotten "attacked" a couple times but when i go there nothing is happening. trying diff maps also ..

edit: abnormally agressive is how guild should be?? :D at least it was when vanilla first came out